Monday, August 22, 2011

I Remember September 11, 2001

September 11, 2001. 
The local Library has asked patrons to write down their memory of that fatefull day.  I did, and decided to post it on my blog.

In 2001, after spending about 40 years in Florida and after retiring in 1995 from Honeywell Clearwater FL, we decided to 'move back to the farm' near Winamac Indiana.

I, with the help of my brother, drove the 1st U Haul load of 'stuff' up on September 7th. We unloaded it that weekend, storing it in a covered semi trailer 'on the farm'.

Monday the 10th I took the U Haul to South Bend and turned it into the UHaul station.  I caught a ride from UHaul to the airport and flew back home to Odessa FL.

The next morning as I was out in the yard, Patty called me, with heavy concern in her voice, "Tom come in a look at this on TV". We watched the 2nd plane fly into the tower. And all the stuff after that.

Had I taken the truck back on Tuesday instead of Monday. Who knows when I would have gotten home.

Having traveled to Europe a few times, I had always wondered when our airport security would become like theirs.

Then I knew.  It was now. The world had changed dramatically for America.

And of course I will never forget it.

Tom Anspach, Winamac

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home